The National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, was opened in 1937 and comprises three historic sites: the Royal Observatory; the Queen’s House; and the National Maritime Museum. Together with the Cutty Sark (which the Museum is now managing), all are collectively branded as ‘Royal Museums Greenwich’, a title granted by HM the Queen to mark her Diamond Jubilee in 2012.
The collections of the Museum are large, of national and international significance, and have particular strengths in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The collections are displayed in a series of thematic galleries and displays on the three sites, while further information on the collections and the Museum’s subjects is available on the Museum’s website, www.rmg.co.uk., and in the new Caird Library and Archive.
In 2011, the Museum opened the new Sammy Ofer Wing, which brought a new ‘front door’ opening onto Greenwich Park; a 900 sq. metre special exhibition gallery; on-site storage of the manuscript, prints and drawings and chart and map collections for the Caird Library and Archive; and greatly improved catering facilities. The first of an ambitious programme of major exhibitions was Royal River: Power, Pageantry and the Thames, opened by HM the Queen, and work has also commenced on a planned series of new galleries.